Jewish leaders unhappy at decision to block Greens candidate from Melbourne community forum | Australian election 2025


Several Jewish community leaders have expressed concern about a decision to ban the Greens candidate for Macnamara from attending a community forum next week, as two established Jewish groups campaign for Labor to preference the minor party last.

The preference request was under consideration, with two Labor sources telling Guardian Australia the party was likely to run an open ticket in the ultra-marginal Melbourne seat, which would encourage voters to place the incumbent MP Josh Burns first on ballots, but not dictate preferences.

The Greens’ Sonya Semmens was initially invited to attend the forum co-hosted by five Jewish groups on Wednesday night, but the offer was rescinded when some of the groups objected to her appearance. Not all the groups initially agreed with calls to revoke her invite but they reached consensus, one of the hosting organisations told Guardian Australia.

Two of the forum’s co-hosts, the Executive Council of Australian Jewry and the Zionist Federation of Australia, wrote to the prime minister and opposition leader urging the Labor and Liberal parties to preference each other above the minor party, criticising the Greens’ conduct since the 7 October attacks.

Jeremy Leibler, the president of the Zionist Federation of Australia, said that while the Greens had attended community forums at previous elections, they were not welcome this year.

“The Greens’ behaviour since 7 October has [shown] they have knowingly and intentionally fuelled antisemitism [and] further inflamed damage to our social-cohesion on the streets of Australia,” Leibler said.

“I don’t think they deserve to be platformed in the lead-up to the election.”

Semmens said she and her colleagues had been “very clear in our rejection of antisemitism” and urged the Jewish groups to reconsider their decision. She said she was still willing to attend the event.

A Greens spokesperson said that after Semmens was told she could not speak at the event, she asked to attend and sit in the front row and be available to people who wished to speak to her. The spokesperson said that request was denied.

“This is a disappointing decision as it means the Jewish community won’t have the chance to hear from all political candidates and make their vote count to the fullest,” Semmens said.

Voting 101: How do you enrol to vote in Australia’s 2025 federal election? – video

“I have been working hard to listen to all members of the Jewish community, and even when we differ in our views I’ve felt those conversations have been important and valuable.”

Three Jewish community leaders in Melbourne – who declined to be named so they could speak freely – raised concerns about the decision to block a candidate from speaking to voters.

skip past newsletter promotion

One described the decision as “a bad look” and “shortsighted”. One said: “I know it is difficult, especially when emotions are heightened, but you need to engage with people from all sides.”

Another community leader said they were concerned that “Jewish lobby groups are now shifting into the political space and have picked a side – I don’t think that’s right”.

Sarah Schwartz, a human rights lawyer and executive officer of the progressive group Jewish Council of Australia, also opposed the decision.

“Like any community, the Jewish community has diverse political views,” Schwartz said. “It does an incredible disservice to Jews and to our community not to recognise this diversity and not to be able to even hear from leftwing voices.”

In Macanamara, 10% of the population is Jewish, making it the second-largest Jewish electorate in Australia.

At the last election Labor, the Liberals and the Greens were separated by only a few hundred primary votes. A similar spread at this election would make the preference distribution vital in determining the outcome.

One party insider said Macnamara was a “unique seat, with unique circumstances” and the party could make special considerations with preferences, provided it did not hurt negotiations with parties in other key seats.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *